Friday, March 10, 2006

The Love (Matt 5:43-48)

You have heard that the law of Moses says, 'Love your neighbor' and hate your enemy. But I say, love your enemies! Pray for those who persecute you! In that way, you will be acting as true children of your Father in heaven. For He gives His sunlight to both the evil and the good, and He sends rain on the just and on the unjust too. If you love only those who love you, what good is that? Even corrupt tax collectors do that much. If you are kind only to your friends, how are you different from anyone else? Even pagans do that. But you are to be perfect, even as your Father in heaven is perfect.

Our love is to be proactive - given for the sake of being given, not reactive - given in response to someone's goodness to us. We are to rise above the standards of the world. Just as God gives good things to me even though I am undeserving, so I am to give to others, even if they are undeserving.

Real love says more about the giver than the receiver. Real love shows the strong character of the giver, not the worthiness of the receiver.

Who are my enemies? People who let me down, hurt me, fail me in some way. The bully at school or in the office. The woman on the phone who is rude and unhelpful; the annoying telemarketer. The admin assistant who stuffs up my booking.
.........What does it mean to love these people? To treat them with kindness, politeness and respect. To pray for them. To look for ways to make them smile. To be 1 Cor 13:4-8a to them - patient, kind, not envious, not boastful, not proud, not rude, not self-seeking, not easily angered, not keeping record of wrongs, not delighting in evil but rejoicing with the truth, protecting, trusting, hoping and persevering. Wow!

1 Comments:

At 4:46 PM, Blogger kelgell said...

Aw! That makes it sound so much tougher.

It is I suppose. Lovin' can be one of the most beautiful, life-giving things we can do but it can also be one of the hardest. It's not natural to "love your enemy". It's a tough choice.

Your list of "enemies" makes me think. I've never considered anyone my enemy...ever. But those who hurt, frustrate and annoy me...there are definitely people in my life like that. I want to love better.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home