Saturday, March 11, 2006

The Love (Mark 12:29-31)

Jesus replied, "The most important commandment is this: 'Hear, O Israel! The Lord our God is the one and only Lord. And you must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your mind, and all your strength.' The second is equally important: 'Love your neighbour as yourself.' No other commandment is greater than these."

The most important thing I can do with my life is to love God. Totally, completely, with everything in me.

What does it mean to 'love God'? To put Him first. Give Him the best I've got. Live in a way that will make Him smile, rather than seeking my own pleasure. With everything I've got - no greater priorities in life, nothing that will distract me from Him, no other simultaneous goals that I'm trying to achieve on the side - just full-on living soley for God. Yikes!

To love your neighbour is EQUALLY important! It is such a priority in God's heart for us to love others that we cannot say we love God fully if we are not loving those around us.

If I do nothing else with my life, I must love.

To love your neighbour as yourself - to meet their needs as you would your own. To treat them in the way you wish to be treated. 'Look out for number 1' - for a Christian, our neighbours are number 1.

No other commandment is greater than these two. Basically, all other commands are summed up by these 2 commandments. If I love God and love others, I will be living in the way He wants me to live.

1 Comments:

At 11:46 PM, Blogger kelgell said...

challenging thoughts. It's such a big ask. To love God like that. I was also thinking about the "love your neighbour as yourself" part. How do I love myself? How far do I go for myself? What lengths would I go to for myself? If I were in thier situation, what would I do? Would I do that for someone else??
I find it challenging to think of it in more literal or practical terms.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home